So far the plans are:
- Install and configure UFW
- Install and configure SSH
- Install Samba, Transmission
- Create a user account which will host all required services and will be used to ssh to and to control things
- Configure /etc/hosts to speed up things a bit
- Write up the /etc/samba/smb.conf
Have disabled the root account:
$ sudo passwd -l root1: Install and configure UFW
$ sudo apt-get install ufw
$ sudo ufw allow proto tcp from 192.168.1.101 to any port 22Allows TCP connection to port 22/ssh from my MainPC (192.168.1.101)
$ sudo ufw denyDisables all other connections Inbound or Outbound.
$ sudo ufw enableEnables the firewall and adds to startup script.
2: Install and configure SSH on both PCs
$ sudo apt-get install sshSurprisingly enough it did not have to be configured. Security out of the box setup is questionable however.
3: Install Samba, Transmission
$ sudo apt-get install samba samba-common smbclient samba-doc swat transmission-cli transmission-daemon transmission-common
Steps 4,5 and 6 require further reading, so will edit this later.